Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Apple Breakfast Pizza


This morning I was hanging out on Pinterest and found this recipe.
Apple Streusel Breakfast Pizza? Hmmmm, sounds good to me! Especially since I just happen to have a piece of pizza dough in my fridge! A few years ago we went to Romano’s Macaroni Grill in Springfield and I had their Caramelized Onion, Rosemary, Goat Cheese Flatbread. I have been making recreations of this at home since, and have even broadened out to other flavors (including a Papa Murphy’s Thai pizza knockoff!)  I make pizza often enough to have left over dough most weeks, and this was one of them. 
 
So, since I had the dough, I checked out the apple recipe.
The Minimalist Baker’s recipe is dairy free, so if you’re lactose intolerant, be sure to check it out. It sounded tasty, especially with the freshly baked apples, but I was short on time. What to do? What to do? Oh yeah! I made applesauce in my Slow Cooker last weekend! Go me!



I used a bag of Granny Smith apples that were on their way out, and threw in a couple of Jazz apples for good measure. They cooked well, but were still pretty chunky, so I attacked them with an immersion blender. I went a little overboard with the immersion blender, in fact, so my applesauce ended up somewhere between applesauce and apple butter. It was certainly not cooked as long as apple butter, so it didn’t have that rich, long-cooked taste, but the texture was smoother than I like for applesauce. I guess all that to say if you don’t have applesauce, but you do have apple butter, go for it!

If you do not have a pizza stone, or any stone pan, I do suggest you buy one if you are able. In fact, buy it when you’re able so that when you are a furloughed Government employee you will be able to raid your pantry and garden and make lots of different kinds of pizza. 

For best results, heat the pizza pan, stone or otherwise, before you put the dough on it. This cuts down on doughy or soggy centers.
Oh, and at the risk of being labeled the goat cheese lady, rather than using butter in the streusel, I opted for goat cheese.  It added that slight tang that you all know I love!

As always, have fun and make it your own!

So happy breakfast pizza!




Apple Breakfast Pizza
1 pizza dough. (homemade or store bought)
1C applesauce
¼ C all purpose flour
2 T brown sugar, white sugar, raw sugar
2 T goat cheese, butter, coconut oil or other butter substitute
1 ½ t powdered sugar (optional)
2 T Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Put pizza stone or pan in oven to heat.

Roll out pizza dough to about ¼ inch thick. Remove hot stone from oven. Carefully transfer dough to hot pan. Spread applesauce over dough, leaving some room for a crust!

In a small dish, mix together the flour and sugar. Using your fingers or a fork, work the goat cheese or butter into the mixture until it is well incorporated, sprinkle it over applesauce on pizza.

Bake 12-20 minutes until crust in nice and brown. The amount of time will depend on how thick you made your crust.

Meanwhile, stir maple syrup into powdered sugar.

Remove pizza from oven. Drizzle maple syrup glaze over pizza. Cut and serve.

Pizza dough
I pretty much freestyle the pizza dough, since I make it so often. For this I made 2  9x7 inch pans of pizza.

1 C flour
1 t salt
1 T yeast
3/4 - 1 C warm water, divided
1 t olive oil

I do usually proof my yeast : put 1 T (one packet) yeast in 1/4 C of the water with a pinch of flour and put it up in a warm spot for 3-5 minutes, just to make sure it's foaming.

Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Add proofed yeast. Stir in oil and just enough water to make a nice dough, elastic and not sticky. You can make this a few days before you plan on using it. Just put it in a bowl with a little oil and cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate. When ready to use, take what you want out of the fridge and proceed as above.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment