Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombing

I know that there is really nothing to say about the bombings in Boston that haven't already been said, but I do need to get this out of my head a little.

Patriot's Day. Really? There is speculation, which is pretty much all we have right now, that this bombing was a political statement. Um, if you want to make a political statement in Boston there are other targets, surely. And on Patriot's Day the obvious targets are the historical landmarks. Patriot's Day, for those who don't know, is the remembrance of the 'shot heard round the world' that sparked our revolution against the British on 19 April 1775. So are these people trying to start something? Are they trying to make a point?

Like you, like all of us, I am horrified that they chose, instead, to inflict their own agenda on innocents. By their actions they showed themselves as absolute cowards.

People here kept looking at me like I was crazy when I kept saying, "the runners, the runners." 


Like I said, this hit me on so many levels and one of them was certainly as a runner. I've run one half-marathon so far and I didn't have to compete for a spot in that, but I do know how it felt coming across that finish line : that sense of accomplishment, that all the training had been worth it, that I should have trained a little harder, that I can do anything if I try hard enough...and that was incredibly cruel of these fiends to take that away from the competitors.

But the running community certainly showed its moxie when so many of the competitors kept running; running all the way to Mass General to make sure there was enough blood for the victims.

Like many of us I will be racing soon, and you can be sure that we will be thinking of those in Boston whose strength of body, strength of spirit and strength of heart were so strong. And everyone of us who crosses a finish line will show these people that you can smack at us, but you will not keep us down! You will not make us afraid! All you've done is make us more determined to live life to the fullest.


1 comment:

  1. Good post.. Have you read the Runner's World about the bombings yet? I have yet to check it out..

    ReplyDelete